Anne-Marie Émond was born on December 25th, 1958 in Ottawa, Ontario.
Like many artists, from an early age Anne-Marie displayed a marked interest in art, especially drawing and painting.
In fact, at the age of eight, she began private academic training with Sister Marie-Reine Parenteau.
Still within the context of her academic training, like many Canadian artists of her time, as an adult, Anne-Marie made a number of trips to Europe to visit the great European museums and thus complete her education.
Profoundly influenced by her training with Sister Marie-Reine Parenteau and her numerous trips to Europe, in 1982, Anne-Marie decided to pursue a Bachelor’s degree in Visual Arts at the University of Ottawa. As a necessary component of this type of study, Anne-Marie produced and showed her work over a period of six years, while also engaged in other related activities, a sample of which include:
- Art teacher, Centre Communautaire ARTEM, New Liskeard (Ontario) (1986-1988)
- Art teacher, ESSM High School, New Liskeard (Ontario) (1987)
- Professeure d’art au Cambrian College à Sudbury (Ontario) (1988-1989)
- Art teacher, Cambrian College, Sudbury (Ontario) (1988-1990)
- Artistic Director, Galerie du Nouvel Ontario, Sudbury (Ontario) (1988-1989)
- Art Educator, National Gallery of Canada, Ottawa (Ontario) (1990-1998)
- In 1992, Anne-Marie decided to go further in her artistic endeavours and pursue a Master’s in Fine Arts at the Université du Québec à
- Montréal. Her thesis was entitled: Peindre le corps féminin dans l’optique mythique du combat entre Persée et Méduse [Painting the
- Female Body From a Mythical Perspective of Combat between Perseus and Medusa]. This was followed by doctoral studies in Art
- Education at Concordia University in Montréal. (The title of her thesis was The Effects of Cognitive Consonance and Dissonance on
- Meaning-Making in a Fine Arts Museum: A Comparison of Visitors Viewing Historical Art and Contemporary Art).
Today, in her dual role as teacher and artist, Anne-Marie, in addition to her creative work and shows, teaches at the Université de Montréal in the Faculty of Education.